Last week, the 18th edition of the Paraty International Literary Festival (FLIP) took place. Happening online for the first time, the event gathered together 22 writers, including those from Brazil and from other countries. The program reached more than 60 thousand views on social media and on the platform of the event.
In total, 12 online roundtables, 8 of which live transmitted and 4 recorded in advance, were part of the program. According to Mauro Munhoz, artistic director of Flip, the success of Flip Virtual 2020 shows that such format, when innovatively used, may result in powerful artistic meetings.
“All the video and design work of this edition translated perfectly the spirit of Flip and the city of Paraty into the virtual environment, resulting in a completely new dynamics. This scenario is new to the whole world, including Flip. The festival had to reinvent itself and will certainly celebrate its 20th edition in 2022 incorporating the new experiences it has been living and the challenges it has been facing”, he says.
Among this edition’s highlights are the books “Torto Arado” (The crooked plow) (Companhia das Letras), by Itamar Vieira Junior; “Garota, Mulher, Outras” (Girl, Woman, Other) (Companhia das Letras), by Bernardine Evaristo; and “O avesso da pele” (Under the skin) (Companhia das Letras), by Jeferson Tenório. Such titles are some of the top sellers of the festival.
All the roundtables remain available on the channel of Flip on YouTube. Click here to watch them for the first time or again.
Here is the list of the 10 top-selling books by guest writers of Flip so far:
- “Torto Arado” (Companhia das Letras), by Itamar Vieira Junior
- “Garota, Mulher, Outras” (Companhia das Letras), by Bernardine Evaristo
- “O avesso da pele” (Companhia das Letras), by Jeferson Tenório
- “A Cachorra” (Bitch) (Intrínseca), by Pilar Quintana
- “Um apartamento em Urano” (An apartment on Uranus) (Zahar), by Paul B. Preciado
- “Narciso em férias” (Narcissus on vacations) (Companhia das Letras), by Caetano Veloso
- “Os viajantes” (The travelers) (Intrínseca), by Regina Porter
- “Saberes da Floresta” (Wisdom of the forest) (Jandaíra), by Maria Wayna Kambeba
- “Não digam que estamos mortos” (Don’t call us dead) (Bazar do Tempo), by Danez Smith
- “Talvez precisemos de um nome para isso” (Maybe we need to give it a name) (Cepe), by Stephanie Borges
About Flip 2020
Because of the novel coronavirus pandemic, the 18th Paraty International Literary Festival (Flip) happened online, from December 3rd through 6th, 2020. The festival was sponsored by the Ministry of Tourism by means of the Special Secretariat for Culture, based on the Federal Law for Cultural Incentive, and was also sponsored by Itaú and supported by companies like Pinheiro Neto Advogados and Uol, among others, and by the City Government of Paraty.